While not as scenic as neighboring Grant River, this is still one of the elite paddling rivers in Southern Wisconsin. Highlights includes limestone boulders, fun rapids, and scenic outcrops.
Hwy A to Airport Road
Date Paddled: July 9th, 2016
Distance: 6.3 Miles
Time: 4 hours 32 minutes (3 hours is more typical)
An upstream section of the Platte with fantastic limestone outcrops and fun riffles. This section however is negatively impacted by grazing and does run dry in late summer though.Read More...
Airport Road Bridge to Platte Road bridge
Date Paddled: August 4th, 2013
Distance: 5 Miles
Time: 3.5 Hours
Located in the SW corner of the state, the Platte is a very nice river often overlooked by paddlers. Unlike its more popular neighbor, the Grant, it has little in the way of rock outcroppings (although it has a few). It also suffers somewhat from poor agricultural use and barbed wires running across the river. […]Read More...
Platte Road to Big Platte Road
Date Paddled: June 14th, 2015
Distance: 5.1 Miles
Time: 4 hours (2.5 hours would be more typical)
A fine southwestern Wisconsin paddle with many fun but safe rapids. This is mostly a rural farm paddle, but is still scenic with great views of the driftless hills.Read More...
- Upstream of Hwy E: Probably some good navigable sections still upstream, although the river is a creek up here and vulnerable to down trees.
- Hwy E to Sleepy Hollow Road Bridge 1: (1.8 miles) River grows from creek to small river with addition of two major tributaries. Might be a few down trees.
- Sleepy Hollow Road Bridge 1 to Sleepy Hollow Road Bridge 2: (1.6 miles) Good prospect that is mostly open. Probably a few limestone outcrops.
- Sleepy Hollow Road Bridge 2 to Coon Hollow Road: (1.8 miles) Good prospect with likely a few limestone outcrops.
- Coon Hollow Road to Hwy A: (3.9 miles) Very good prospect with likely multiple limestone outcrops. Coon Hollow is a decent bridge access, but the ditch is well mowed which typically means the local owner is territorial.
- Hwy A to Airport Road: (6.4 miles) A very good prospect with great limestone outcrops (reviewed Jul 2016).
- Airport Road to Platte Road: (5.0 miles) A very good prospect with fun riffly current (reviewed Aug 2013).
- Platte Road to Big Platte Road: (5.1 miles) A good prospect with fun riffles, limestone outcrops and nice valley vistas (reviewed Jun 2015).
- Big Platte Road Bridge #1 to Big Platte Road Bridge #2: (3.2 miles) Good prospect.
- Big Platte Road Bridge #2 to Hwy O: (1.3 miles) Good prospect.
- Hwy O to Indian Creek Road: (7.6 miles) Ok prospect.
- Indian Creek Road to Mouth at Mississippi: (1.56 miles) Ok prospect
- Mississippi Options: Tricky. The Grant River Recreational Area is 3.4 miles upstream of the mouth(that can be tough sledding especially in high water). Downstream you could take out at Eagle Point Lane (very scenic), but that is 5.5 miles on a very big Mississippi.