Located in Northwest Wisconsin, the Namekagon is a classic and one of the more popular kayaking rivers in the area.
Hayward Dam to Stinnett Landing
Date Paddled: August 27th, 2013
Distance: 9.1 Miles
Time: 5 hours (without distractions this would be much shorter)
One of the more popular legs of the Namekagon starts just below Hayward.Read More...
County Road K Landing to McDowell Bridge Landing
Date Paddled: July 18th, 2021
Distance: 22 miles
Time: Three-day camping trip
A guest review for the Lower Namekagon.Read More...
- Upstream from the Namekagon River Dam: There is an immediate flowage and then upstream the river splinters and could still be navigable, but I don't know.
- Namekagon River Dam to Cable Wayside: 14.7 miles.
- Namekagon River Dam to Hwy M: 7.2 miles. A terrific leg with some Class 2 rapids.
- Hwy M to Cable Wayside/Hwy 63: 6.9 miles. Good prospect with much less rapids. Many intermediary access options (each bridge really).
- Hwy 63 to Mossback Road Landing: 3.9 miles. Very good prospect and a local favorite.
- Mossback Road Landing to Larson Road Landing: 4.9 miles. Very good prospect and a local favorite.
- Larson Road Landing to Phipps Landing/Hwy 63: 3.3 miles.
- Phipps Landing to W. Phipps Bridge/Trout Run Landing: 2.8 miles.
- W. Phipps Bridge to Eagle's Landing: 2.4 miles. Eagle's Landing should be a bit NE of W. Hospital Road.
- Eagle's Landing to Hayward Dam: 3.2 miles. Mostly flowage paddling.
- Hayward Dam/1st Street to Stinnett River Road Landing: 9.1 miles. A good and popular stretch.
- Stinnett Landing to Groat Landing/Brickman Lake Road: 3.0 miles. Several Class 1 rapids.
- Groat Landing to Springbrook Landing: 4.9 miles.
- Groat Landing to Trails End Road Landing: 2.4 miles. Section with Class 2 rapids.
- Trails End Road to Legion Lane Landing: 2.7 miles. A few Class 1 rapids.
- Legion Lane Landing to Big Bend Landing/Pow Road: 5.2 miles. A few Class 1 rapids.
- Pow Road to Earl Park Landing/Road N: 3.8 miles. Mostly flatwater.
- Earl Park Landing to Trego/Cash Road: 5.0 miles. Mostly flatwater...there are other take-out options in Trego. Take-out is just NE of Wagon Bridge Road.
- Trego to Road K Landing: 5.6 miles. Mostly flowage paddling.
- Road K to McDowell Bridge Landing: 22 miles.
- Road K to Whispering Pines Road Landing: 10.3 miles.
- Whispering Pines to Howell Landing: 4.4 miles. You can take out on either side of the river.
- Howell Landing to Fritz Landing/River Landing Road: 3.5 miles.
- Fritz Landing to McDowell Bridge Landing/Web Creek Dr.: 2.7 miles.
- McDowell to Namekagon Trail Landing: 7.0 miles.
- Namekagon Trail Landing to Mouth: 5.0 miles.
- Mouth to Riverside Landing/Hwy 35: 3.7 miles. A short stretch on the St. Croix to reach a take-out.
For best quality, view in full screen and 1080p!
I don't think so, but you should call ahead just to be sure.
Hi there, do we need a reservation to float or do we just show up and do it there?! This is our first time and I haven’t been able to find this information. Thanks for your time!!
Thanks for the feedback! It's always terrific to hear from visitors. I definitely am interested in paddling the Red Cedar and would be happy to post any images/information you want to share.
Beautiful site! So glad I happened upon all your hard work - I have book on paddling WI rivers, but love the photos and descriptions you give! We live on the Red Cedar just outside Chetek, and LOVE to kayak it - we would definitely be able to contribute some pics of the Barron to Hwy 64 stretch. No rapids, but good moving water most of the year. We've been on it from March - November, maybe some year we'll hit the other 3 if global warming continues. Thanks for the great site!
How did your trip turn out? Questions or comments? Feel free to leave your feedback.