Black Earth Creek
This is one of the great paddling streams of Dane County. Highlights include good water quality and swift current. Locals have done a terrific job of clearing out hazardous logjams.
Scherbel Road to Black Earth Community Park
Date Paddled: May 22nd, 2015
Distance: 4.17 Miles
Time: 3 hours 13 minutes (2 hours would be more typical)
An obscure but pleasant paddle stretch from Salmo Pond County Park to Black Earth. A good combination of scenery, water quality and light rapids.Read More...
Black Earth Community Park to Olson Road Bridge
Date Paddled: May 18th, 2014
Distance: 4.1 Miles
Time: 3 hours
This is a very nice, clear, fast creek that runs from the Middleton Airport all the way to the Wisconsin River near Arena. On occasion, paddlers will run Blynn Road (the last bridge) to the mouth, and this is considered a good prospect that recently was cleaned up in 2011 of log jams by “Capitol […]Read More...
Olson Road Bridge to Walking Iron Park
Date Paddled: August 24th, 2014
Distance: 3.7 Miles
Time: 4 hours 17 minutes (atypical....expect 2 hours)
Connecting the city of Middleton to the Wisconsin River, Black Earth Creek is an obscure paddling prospect–more known for its nationally famous trout population. Nevertheless, this creek is a wonderful little gem with a great combination of prairie paddling and forest paddling that should not be overlooked by south-central Wisconsinites. Previously in May, I had […]Read More...
Olson Road to Wolf Run Trailhead Landing
Date Paddled: January 20th, 2018
Distance: 2.3 miles
Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
A guest winter review for a short segment on Black Earth Creek from Olson Road to the new Wolf Run Trail Landing.Read More...
Walking Iron Park in Mazomanie to Blynn Road Bridge
Date Paddled: August 22nd, 2015
Distance: 5.47 Miles
Time: 5 hours 3 minutes (2.5 hours would be more typical)
Back again at Black Earth Creek, this time starting at Mazomanie's Walking Iron Park. A really nice paddle with great water clarity, clean banks, attractive tree canopies and good current.Read More...
Blynn Road Bridge to Arena Public Boat Landing
Date Paddled: October 5th, 2014
Distance: 6.75 Miles
Time: 3 hours 21 minutes
A relatively new water-trail due to some fantastic clean-up work by the locals, but while the creek is worthy of consideration, this was a relatively disappointing paddle given how much I liked the upper sections of this watershed (namely, Black Earth Creek). Put-in: Pretty good put-in at Blynn Road. Access will be on the southeast […]Read More...
- Upstream of Cross Plains: I suspect the creek is actually large enough to run here, but deadfall is probably an issue.
- Cross Plains to Salmo Pond: 3 miles. Some obstructions, but is on my to-do list. You can launch by the Kwik Trip or by the Ice Age Trail.
- Salmo Pond to Black Earth: 4.2 miles. A good section (reviewed here).
- Black Earth to Olson Road: 4.1 miles. Another good section (reviewed here).
- Olson Road to Walking Iron Park: 3.7 miles. Best section on the entire creek (reviewed here and later as a guest winter review here).
- Walking Iron Park to W. Hudson Road: 1.1 miles. A small but great section that is recommended as an add-on to an Olson Road trip (reviewed here).
- W. Hudson Road to Blynn Road: 4.4 miles. An ok section but nothing special (reviewed here).
- Bylnn Road to Mouth at Arena: 6.8 miles. Technically now Blue Mounds Creek, this is the weakest section (reviewed here).