East Fork of the Black River
While not in the same class as the main branch, the East Fork is still a fun paddling river and features some of the best Class 2 rapids in the state.
Steponik Road to Pray Road
Date Paddled: October 23rd, 2016
Distance: 4.6 miles
Time: 2 hours 24 minutes
A pleasant but lazy stretch little resembling the main branch of the Black River. East Fork Falls and a unique wildlife experience kept things interesting though...Read More...
Pray Road Bridge to Overguard Road Public Access
Date Paddled: September 14th, 2014
Distance: 7.1 Miles
Time: 3 hours 46 minutes
A pleasant central Wisconsin paddle with little signs of human civilization. Enjoy oxymoronic slow riffley current with the highlight of the trip being large granite protrusions and boulder beds. Put-in: Good but hidey access area by Pray Road. It will be on the northwest side of the bridge, with a solid pull-off area for the […]Read More...
Overguard Road to East Fork Campground
Date Paddled: September 1st, 2018
Distance: 4.5 miles
Time: 4 hours 48 minutes (2 hours would be more typical)
The last, best, and most popular stretch of the East Fork. A scenic wilderness trip with fun Class 1-2 rapids and attractive granite boulder gardens.Read More...
- River Road to Hwy 73: 1.8 miles. A small creek that might be runnable in high water. Jams shouldn’t be too bad.
- Hwy 73 to Hay Creek Road: 5.4 miles. Probably a feasible creek prospect.
- Hay Creek Road to Peterson Road: 4.3 miles. Probably doable as a creek prospect as it is more open, but there would still be some jams.
- Peterson Road to Hwy ZZ: 7.0 miles. Probably too many downed trees.
- Hwy ZZ to Knutes Road: 5.1 miles. Very narrow and wooded…downed trees are probably an issue. Best launch option probably SW of bridge.
- Knutes Road to Steponik Road: 5.8 miles. Probably a sandy slow section with no rapids and a handful of downed trees. You should be legal to launch by Knutes Road, but the local landowner doesn’t like outsiders. Supposedly there is an access option at Borek Road.
- Steponik Road to Pray Road: [overview_rating stars='3.5' ] 4.6 miles. Ok section with several small Class 1’s, a Class 3, and a Class 4.
- Pray Road to Overguard Road: [overview_rating stars='4' ] 7.4 miles. Good section with large granite boulders and one Class 1 rapid.
- Overguard Road to East Fork Campground: [overview_rating stars='5' ] 4.5 miles. The last, best, and most popular segment on the East Fork.
- Overguard Road to East Fork Road: 2.3 miles. Scenic section of the river with four Class 1's and one Class 2.
- East Fork Road to East Fork Campround: 2.3 miles. Another good section of the river with two Class 1's and two Class 2's.
- East Fork Campground to Lake Arbutus: Simple flowage paddling. Lake Arbutus has about 9 landings to choose from.